Sunday 24 August 2008

This Weekend

The plan for the last year was to spend this weekend sleeping on the floor in a tent, spending most nights in something that resembles a war zone and generally turning into a dirty festival goer at none other than the quite frankly fantastic Reading Festival. I'm now typing this from the comfort of my bed in rather wet Wales. The big glaringly obvious difference is that I'm not in a tent, I'm not in Reading and I'm not at a festival. This is down to a number of reasons, but mainly the fact that I'd have missed a whole day's worth of music due to a particularly evil exam I had yesterday (which, by the way, I'm fairly convinced I failed due to a migraine). Money also had a small part to play in this but if I hadn't had the exam I'd have put up with that.

Bands I'm missing that I was planning on seeing:
Day 1 - Blood Red Shoes, byoP, Florence and the Machine, Biffy Clyro, Ida Maria, Friendly Fires, MGMT, Vampire Weekend, The Wombats, Rage Against The Machine
Day 2 - Collapsing Cities, The Subways, Mystery Jets, Los Campesinos!, Editors, Justice, Bloc Party, Manics (Clash of the festival for me, I'd be so tempted to see The Killers instead, but have a feeling I'd have been dragged to see the Manics. Not that I'd have complained)
Day 3 - Adam Green, Holy Fuck, Johnny Foreigner, Lethal Bizzle, Pendulum, Tenacious D, Wiley, The Cribs

When I realised I'd definitely have to miss Friday, most people reacted by saying something along the lines of "Oh well, at least it's the weak day". Not for me it wasn't. Bands I love, plus no clashes. Saturday was the 'bands I like and a few I love' day, but with a few clashes, and Sunday was, to be honest, fairly meh-some. A catastrophic clash between Holy Fuck and JoFo, nothing much worth seeing for 2 hours, and everyone seemingly bumming headliners I have no interest in whatsoever.

Actually putting it like that, it's probably just as well I ended up not going. I'm feeling a bit better about not being there. I'm missing some bands I'd love to see live, but of the 26 I'd have planned on seeing at least some of, I've seen 10/11 and will be seeing another in a few weeks.

At least I'll be buying next year's ticket on Tuesday :D

Music: Friendly Fires - Paris
Socks: I'm not wearing any :P

2 comments:

Duncan said...

CRYSTAL CASTLES! CRYSTAL CASTLES! CRYSTAL CASTLES!


Feel free to tell me to shut up about that soon.

Duncan said...

and you were right... Friday was the best day all in all!