Saturday 12 April 2008

Holiday summary and LC! review

It's been a long while without an update. 3 1/2 weeks without an internet connection wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but it was still horrible. It was almost like living in a parallel world. Life was still carrying on, but I wasn't part of it. Being separated from the best friend I've ever had wasn't much fun either. Thankfully trips to Bath/Bristol and London were the highlights of my holidays thanks to the people I was with. Bath/Bristol and the afternoon in Swindon made for lots of new in-jokes, even though we forgot to play Thomas Top Trumps and I then forgot to take them to London too. They will be coming to the next meetup, sometime in the summer. If I have to sit at a party dressed as a character from Aladdin, drinking wine and playing Top Trumps Junior, so be it.

Although it was during the holidays, I came back to uni early so that I could see Los Campesinos! Although they're based in Cardiff, they hadn't played there much, and hadn't at all for 10 months, so I'd never had the chance to see them. After getting the train with Duncan, we met Olli and Rosie for a much needed Pizza Hut dinner before trying to find Cherry Pie (tradition) and heading off to the union.
After being told that first support, Little My, were far too twee for their own good I wasn't holding up much hope for discovering a new band, but was pleasantly surprised by them. Any band who use recorders, kazoos and glockenspiels is fine by me. It's a good job Solus has a big stage. fitting bands of 7 and 12 onto a stage is no mean feat. Having found via the medium of myspace that Little My have 3" cds with handmade covers featuring furry animals I had to have one and its now on its way, so I think I'll have to review that once I get my eager hands on it.
Lovvers were as expected...horrible. They were horrible when they supported BRS, and equally horrible, if not worse on Thursday. This seemed to be a sentiment echoed across the crowd, small though it was at the time. On arriving, we'd discovered that not many people had arrived yet, and those who had were stood towards the back, allowing us to score a decent spot on the barrier. While this meant we'd had to suffer through Lovvers at the front, it also gave us a perfect view (and Sweet Dreams... dancing spot) for the night's headliners.
Los Campesinos! were as I'd imagined they'd be and more. The band were obviously nervous about playing on a stage they'd looked upto many times before as students, but they put their nervous energy to good use. The crowd were in good spirits, with many knowing the words to every song. This wasn't something the 7-piece were used to judging by Aleks' reaction when she realised that the crowd could be heard singing over her during Math(s). By the time they got onto Y!M!D! the crowd were singing and dancing, front to back and right out to the sides. There's something wrong about standing still to that. It's a song that makes your feet lose control. You have to dance like nobody's watching and your body takes over, which is quite apt really, given the lyrics. Being on the barrier gave me a perfect spot to do the Sweet Dreams... dance with Olli and Rosie, but the band didn't bring it back for the night. Shame on them. They really are the perfect band to shout random lyrics at the top of your voice whenever you feel like it. And I did. More than once. Although it was the first time I'd seen them, it definitely won't be the last. 9/10

So now I'm back and have 4 seminars to prepare for Monday, Tuesday and Friday. It's just as well that I don't have any gigs to go to until April 25th now, but I'm really looking forward to that one.

Music: LC! - C Is The Heavenly Option
Socks: Snoopy and rainbows

2 comments:

Duncan said...

You do write really well.

I must agree it was a very awesome night and I'm definitely going to take any opportunity to see them again!

You didn't mention your snazzy LC! t-shirt tho! Which is nice, no matter what Olli may say.

Amie said...

Thanks. I'm paranoid of the fact that I write as things come into my head, and therefore isn't very good.

We should have gone to see them in Hereford. We could have got a train back from there quite easily.

And yes, my t-shirt is snazzy. That's why I've worn it twice in a week. Silly Olli.